Serves 4 to 6
1 pound Sierra Gold Potatoes, peeled, and cut into 1-inch chunks
1/4 cup unsalted butter
6 strips bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1/4 cup finely chopped red scallions, or leeks
1 bunch kale, tough stems removed, and cut into 1/2-inch ribbons
Salt and pepper
2 large eggs
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Put the potatoes in salted water to cover, and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender.
2. Drain well, return to the pan and mash with 2 tablespoons of butter.
3. In a skillet, cook the bacon until crisp, add the scallions and saute for 1 minute, until softened. Add the Kale, and saute until the kale is wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Transfer the mixture to the potatoes, add the eggs, and blend.
5. Form the mixture into 2-inch round cakes (using a portion scoop to keep them even) Drop them into the flour, and coat both sides. Refrigerate for 1 hour to firm up.
6. Heat the oil and remaining butter in a large skillet, and fry the cakes for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, until they are golden brown on each side. Transfer to paper towels and drain.
7. The cakes can be kept warm in a low oven for 30 minutes. Cooked cakes can be frozen, defrosted and then reheated in a 350-degree oven for 15 minutes.
Learn more about Black Kale Click HERE
Download our FREE app HERE
Diane Phillips www.dianephillips.com and www.cucinadivina.blogspot.com
Follow me on:
Facebook: Diane Phillips’ Blog of Cooking, Travel and Commentary
Pinterest: Diane Phillips