Old Fashioned Boston Baked Beans
1/2 pound Red Heirloom Indian Beans
4 strips bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium onion, finely chopped (or 1/2 cup chopped red spring onions)
2 cups chicken or vegetable broth (plus more if needed)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons Maple syrup
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1. Soak the beans overnight covered in cold water.
2. Drain and rinse the beans and set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
4. In a Dutch oven cook the bacon until crisp, add the onion, and saute for 2 to 3 minutes until softened.
5. Add the remaining ingredients, including the beans, and bring to a boil. Cover and bake for 1 hour, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
6. If the sauce need more liquid, add additional broth (this will depend on the beans) Taste for seasoning adding more sugar, or ketchup, or Worcestershire sauce. Remove the bay leaf and serve.
7. Cook’s note: These are terrific made ahead and reheated (either on the stovetop or in the oven) the next day. They will keep refrigerated for up to 4 days.
Learn more about Hidatsa Red Beans Click HERE
Download our FREE app HERE
Diane Phillips www.dianephillips.com and www.cucinadivina.blogspot.com
Follow me on:
Facebook: Diane Phillips’ Blog of Cooking, Travel and Commentary
Pinterest: Diane Phillips