Vanilla Blood Orange Upside Down Cake
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
2 to 4 vanilla blood oranges, peel and pith removed, and sliced 1/4-inch thick
1. Coat the interior of a 10-inch cake pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a small saucepan on medium heat, then add the brown sugar and stir for a few minutes until the brown sugar is completely combined and melted.
3. Pour the butter/brown sugar mixture over the bottom of the cake pan, and arrange the orange slices on the sugar syrup. Set aside while making the cake batter.
For the Cake
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste or vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2/3 cup sour cream
1/4 cup blood orange juice
2 cups heavy cream, whipped stiffly for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until they are light and fluffy. Add the vanilla, and zest.
3. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
4. Mix the sour cream and orange juice together, add with the flour, baking soda and salt, and beat until the mixture comes together and is smooth.
5. Transfer the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes until a skewer inserted in to the center comes out clean.
6. Transfer the cake pan to a rack and allow to cool for EXACTLY 10 minutes.
7. Turn the cake out onto a serving platter, and serve at room temperature.
8. Refrigerate any leftover cake, and re-warm before serving, garnish with whipped cream, crème fraiche or vanilla ice cream.
Learn more about Vanilla Blood Oranges Click HERE
Download our FREE app HERE
Diane Phillips www.dianephillips.com and www.cucinadivina.blogspot.com
Follow me on:
Facebook: Diane Phillips’ Blog of Cooking, Travel and Commentary
Pinterest: Diane Phillips